Translate

Monday, April 14, 2014

Shibori Ribbon Challenge

Pin It


Early in March, Tanya Goodwin of A Work in Progress felt inspired to create a challenge around a special type of ribbon called Shibori. This type of ribbon is made with intricate folding and dyeing techniques, which produces a variety of beautifully patterned and shaded designs. Tanya generously sent several of us a length of gorgeous Shibori she had on hand and encouraged us to use it to get creative:





Tanya also shared some links to some beautiful bead embroidered items. As you know, I am not really much of a "beader", so I chose to create a little ribbon sculpture instead. If you saw my design for the Color of Dreams, you noticed I had "adopted" a certain creature as a sort of totem for growth and change. So I once again used it as inspiration for my ribbon design:





I enjoyed working with my Shibori ribbon. This butterfly only used about 1/2 of the piece Tanya sent me. I haven't decided if I will make a different sculpture, or use the remaining ribbon to make a tutorial for the butterfly :) I didn't find other Shibori butterflies out there, but if anyone has seen one, I would love to have the link.

My necklace was finished with uniquely hand-dyed tubular viscose ribbon by Lorraine Stobie, Colour Complementsthreaded through heavy decorative antiqued copper chain. I thought this was the perfect "complement" to the Shibori :)


Thank you for including me in your challenge, Tanya!




Here are the other challenge participants:



 Our Hostess:
Tanya   A Work in Progress 

 Maryanne   Zingala's Workshop 

 Alenka   Pepita Handmade 

 Yep**Monique   A Half-Baked Notion**that's me 

 Carolyn   Carolyn's Creations


 Catherine   Catherine's Musings



 Therese   Therese's Treasures 



If any of you are awake during the night, here in North America there is a total eclipse of the Moon tonight, April 14th-15th. Check the link for times.

25 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so unique Monique! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Monique the butterfly is beautiful, I love it! Please do a tutorial, because I want to make one.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow very pretty-I have not seen shibori ribbon before-I may need to try that when I get back to dyeing this summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monique~this is fantastic!!! I love the sculpting you did. And you really let the ribbon shine! What gorgeous colors. I am eager to see all the butterflies you create this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique this is just lovely and I adore the sculpture butterfly. I agree with Therese, a tutorial would be a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting design!! Love how you tempered the dominant red with those gorgeous spring colors...then kept them all grounded with the accent of black. The sculpture, the colors, the warm touch of metal, just masterful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely *adore* your butterfly. I love how the wings just puff out. I've seen Glennis's dragonfly tutorial, but not one for a butterfly. Like Therese, I'd love a tutorial if you were so inclined. Of course, seeing that, I'd love to see what other sculpture you would make as well. :)

    The necklace is a stunner! Thank you so much for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do a lot of things with this ribbon! Maybe I should try it? Love love love your butterfly. The ribbon gives it such dimension and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your butterfly is fabulous!! Has a lovely presence and it is so well make. I marvel at how you got the ribbon to "behave" so well. The colors of your ribbon are perfect for such an exotic beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you've chosen the butterfly as a symbol meaningful to you! I never thought it before but it is all that is light and life and beauty! Your necklace is wonderful and reflects the qualities of a butterfly so well! The use of 2 kinds of ribbons in many colors is just perfect too! (I also enjoyed your post on your butterfly bracelet. So glad you linked to that!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the butterfly, Monique. What a great challenge and your necklace is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely butterfly! A great and creative use of the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow I love how your piece plays with shadows, and color .... it has such texture to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Butterfly! Very Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love your butterfly. I have these pin backs that also have a hair clip on them too. I'd totally make one of these for that duel purpose. What an out of the box idea. Well Done Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The butterfly is such a nice idea it works well with the ribbon, I have seen this Shibori ribbon for sale on Etsy but haven't tried it yet.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely LOVE the butterfly Monique and must admit that tubular ribbon looks pretty darn good too! Thanks again for linking to me. Am off to see the others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw this page on Etsy this morning and thought of you! :-) https://www.etsy.com/shop/SusannahTucker?section_id=5560107&ref=shopsection_leftnav_4

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great butterfly! I never would have thought about doing sculpture with the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea fo shibori ribbon! Fresh and funny, congratulations, Monique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the best part about this challenge is the many ways you have all come up with to use the ribbon. this butterfly is as lovely as the flowers from which it drinks nectar. thanks for showing it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That butterfly is absolutely stunning. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Monique, I agree with all the previous comments, the butterfy is stunning!!! Great job!!
    Alenka

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful butterfly. It looks like a really clever design too. A tutorial would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...