Translate

Saturday, April 26, 2014

CC7A April Reveal

Pin It





Welcome to reveal day for the April edition of the Creative Continuum of Seven Artists, brought to you this month by the lovely Therese Frank of Therese's Treasures. Therese sent moonstone beads, sky blue agate and sparkly clear AB glass, along with a gorgeous one-of-a-kind dichroic glass cabochon she handcrafted. All of which I neglected to photograph, despite the fact that they sat smiling on my worktable for the better part of a month!

Therese's inspiration was the song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, from this album: 





This Beatles' song, filled with musical and recording innovation, has inspired lots of covers since it debuted in 1967, and even more controversy. Was it about tripping on LSD? Inspired by a child's drawing? A modern nod to Alice in Wonderland? A bit of each? Certainly it has consistently garnered attention and remained on playlists for almost 50 years. So cheers to you, John! You have kept everyone arguing even from the grave... you are having the last laugh :)

Here are the lyrics... decide for yourself what John Lennon was describing:



Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Ah... Ah...

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain,
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies.
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.

Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties.
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile,
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.


Here is the bracelet (which started life as a necklace) I designed using Therese's awesome and trippy components (sweet enameled birdie clasp by Kristen Varian):





Be patient while I share some extra photography I experimented with (links to the other designers in the group at the bottom, if you prefer to skip):






Dark background:



I created a polymer clay bezel for Therese's glass cabochon, stamped
with our group acronym. There are four narrow tunnels for
cording between the glass and the bezel.


And while wearing the bracelet (I always forget to take these):





As always, I want to thank Alicia for inviting me into the CC7A, and Therese for providing this month's beautiful components and fabulous inspiration :) And Therese, I DID make several earring pairs with leftover goodies... if I could only find them :( I am literally floating in earrings this month, so I'm hoping I put these special pairs in a "safe place" LOL.

I invite everyone to hop over to the rest of the members and see their creations:


Alicia... All the Pretty Things
*Alicia will be posting later in the week*
Christine... One Kiss Creations 
Cynthia... Antiquity Travelers 
Emma... A Polymer Penchant 
Sally... The Studio Sublime 
Therese... Therese's Treasures


See y'all next month for another round!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful Monique, I love the bracelet. I was curious as to how you were going to use the cab, great job. I also like that you through in a little history of the song and the lyrics. I am such a procraftinator that I did not get around to adding any interesting tidbits.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful! I love your bracelet-all the elements are so lovely-enjoy wearing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa - that is a fantastic bezel you made! Awesome bracelet - thanks for the history lesson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acid trip, and aren't we all glad a song was written about it?! I am :-D

    I am blown away by the genius of your polymer bezel!!! This is too cool! I love the added earthy burnt orange. It really works so well with the gemstones, the crystals and the cab. This bracelet is phenomenal~truly a gorgeous piece. A polymer bezel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Oh my god! that is the coolest bezel I've ever seen! and simply ingenious to add the holes for the beading - fricken amazing! LOVE this piece Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how clean and crisp your bezel is! It's so fun to see how differently the two of us approach these challenges with the polymer, inside the group as a whole. You did such a beautiful job with this bracelet, the flow of all the other coordinating beads is so lovely. Those birdies sure seem to be becoming a signature :) - a beautiful one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job Monique! I really love the bracelet. I can so see it making a hit in the 60's when the song came out! I was there....lol! I do like the darker background in your pictures, make the bracelet pop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. now i need to go find my Beatles album & play it tons ... i love that tune-age ... great times. i bet it was a great time to be young. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Monique, I LOVE the polymer clay bezel, it really makes the colors in the cab pop!! Beautiful bracelet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow that is just a fabulous bracelet. So very colorful. I love the "mother-of-pearl" portion and how shiny it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love the focal and how it all blends together
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bracelet Monique, love the birdie clasp

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, first the cab you received from Therese is absolutely stunning. The bezel you created for it is SUCH a good idea. I love the little zig-zag on the outside and the stamp on the back. Very cool. The whole design of your bracelet really flows and has a liquid feeling to it (for me). Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...