Translate

Monday, April 14, 2014

ABS Challenge April 2014

Pin It


I will keep this post short and sweet (for me, that is LOL) as I have already posted today for Tanya Goodwin's Shibori Ribbon Challenge. This necklace is my entry for the Art Bead Scene Challenge April 2014, which is this painting:


Swaying Dancer (Dancer in Green), 1877-79 by Edgar Degas
Pastel and Gouache on Paper 26" x 14" (66 x 36 cm)
**with selected palette by colour guru Brandi Hussey of Brandi Girl Blog**


The painting has bold colours well illuminated in Brandi's palette. As always, I learned a lot about an influential painter. As a tribute to the many contrasting aspects of Degas' style, I included both romantic motifs and rather more modern components.  Hope you like it :)




The little design in the Nancy Schindler pendant has always been a "dancing fairy" to my mind. Below is a grouping of little apricot flower bead caps which look like miniature dancers' skirts. The cord part of the necklace features bold lampwork discs by the inimitable Julie Burgard, Aztec Picasso Czech beads in a variety of blue-greens, and chunky dyed and hand-carved Indonesian bone beads. Strung on charcoal waxed linen with a commercial flowery button for closure (just because it was the one I really liked in this design).




Thanks for visiting, and be sure to check the ABS flickr page for lots more designs inspired by Swaying Dancer.

22 comments:

  1. I totally love your translation of the painting...probably too much more than the painting. Another fabulous piece in the same day. You've been a busy lady. I really love what you did with this piece. Romance, whimsy and botanicals all in one piece. It's like all of my favorite things and in my current favorite colors. Over the moon for the dancing fairy's new place in this world. BRAVO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique, this necklace is so lovely. You never cease to amaze me with your creations. You have such artistic flare and I mean that in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colors combination, specially for the pendant =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful piece - I can see the dancer's twirl in the beads. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique, this is so lovely, you have captured the colour so beautifully and the flowers were very inspirational love the idea of the dancers skirts. A wonderful necklace!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I DO like this...a lot! I love the flowers clustered at the feet of the dancing fairy. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and fits the theme this month so well! Love your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is lovely.
    The way you've combined the romantic, femininity of the fairy pendant and the pretty flower beads with the bolder, more modern geometric elements was inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your work is pretty. This colour combination is unusual and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I like the colors of your piece. The flowers and the fairy are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I adore your interpretation! Delicate and a strong design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Monique your necklace is lovely. I can see the dancing fairy with all the twirling skirts dancing around her. I love the color combinations that you have chosen for this piece. Love the flowery button too! Goes perfectly with the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a cool challenge. Love the mini-tutus you created with your beads! Really inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Monique how lovely of you to comment on my blog so soon. I was blown away.
    Having not been there for so long, I did not really expect that. A great way to put it, lost the fire, but I think more so little time, and so many things to want to do.Yes it is a great way to keep a record. Have to put your comment on, but lost the plot so will when I remember. love the colours here. XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty piece. Would like to see how it looks while being worn. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Monique--you've captured the colors and sensibility of the Degas so beautifully! I loved seeing all of the colors of the work pulled out along side of it and then seeing your piece--wow. Just stunning work. BTW, thanks for visiting me today :) Blessings, Diana
    Adirondack Girl @ Heart

    ReplyDelete
  17. Monique, your necklace is very lovely! The Degas painting really spoke to you, as you captured the feelings and movement of the painting so well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome design Monique. My favorite in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...